COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus.
For the latest health information and advice, visit nhs.uk/coronavirus
Stay at home if you have coronavirus symptoms
Stay at home for 7 days if you have either:
- a high temperature
- a new, continuous cough
- Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.
You do not need to contact 111 to tell them you’re staying at home.
Read the NHS advice about staying at home: nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/
How to avoid catching or spreading coronavirus
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds. Watch our video about the best way to wash your hands
- Always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:
- You feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home
- Your condition gets worse
- Your symptoms do not get better after 7 days
- Use the 111 online coronavirus service at 111.nhs.uk/covid-19/ – only call 111 if you cannot get help online.
Turning challenge into camaraderie
Councillor Bev Craig, Manchester’s Executive Member for Adult Health and Wellbeing, has written a blog saying that how we act in a time of need is a mark of how we act as a city.
She urges all to act responsibly, listen to advice, and most importantly to look out for each other. Read more
Coronavirus (COVID-19) – UK government response: gov.uk/coronavirus
Government travel advice: gov.uk/guidance/travel-advice-novel-coronavirus
Guidance for employers and businesses: gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19
Help with debt, bills and borrowing: manchester.gov.uk/helpinghands
NHS advice and information: nhs.uk/coronavirus